Friday, July 13, 2012

Mellow Yellow: Thrift Store Cabinet Makeover

Our patio cover is finished! Hooray for shade. Especially in this ridiculous heat. We decided to go all the way and add stucco to match the rest of the house which led to the addition of three ceiling fans and two built-in speakers. The new sound system needed a home so I searched high and low for a little cabinet but was unsuccessful. Until I stubbled upon a beat up blue disaster at the thrift store for $6. 
Mr. G thought I had seriously lost it but I saw potential. 

The cabinet is the perfect size for the patio, it just needed some love. And love often comes in a spray paint bottle. 

Here's what to do.
1. Sand the varnish off. I didn't do much, just scuffed it up.
2. Wipe off with a damp cloth and add a coat or two of spray paint. 
3. Allow the paint to completely dry and distress the piece with sand paper. Wipe clean again.
4. Paint on the wood finish and wipe off with a clean rag. 
5. Add new hardware if necessary.


Tip: Don't let the stain sit for too long. I work quickly during this process. It takes less than a minute.

I fell in love with this pot at Ross for only three bucks. It has so much character and the vibrant teal is delicious. I think I found my color palette for the patio decor. To be continued :)


-Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Love it! It turned out so cute. Great tip about the wood stain - I'll have to try that sometime.

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brie. It looks great out back. Let me know if you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete