Friday, June 10, 2011

*Bonus* Gardner Grub - Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas

This was going to be posted next Thursday for Gardner Grub but I got tons of requests for the recipe on the Kraft page so I decided to share it early.

FYI - I prefer the Hatch brand enchilada sauce. No other sauce compares in my opinion. Unless it's homemade, of course. Hatch contains no MSG, is crazy delicious, and has a kick to it. If you like really spicy foods, go for the medium. If not, stick with mild which still has a decent heat level. I purchase it at Whole Foods.

You might read "country gravy" in the ingredients and think I'm nuts but trust me. It turns the filling and sauce into creamy, yummy goodness. Try it.

Mona's Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas

3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 14 oz can of HATCH Green Chili Enchilada sauce (mild)
1 pkg Country Gravy
1 can of Refried beans
Corn Tortillas
1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican Blend)
1 can sliced black olives

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Once you've cooked and chopped the chicken, follow the directions on the package of gravy (usually 2 cups of water, whisk until thickens). In a medium bowl add a 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce, 1/2 of the can of refried beans, and a 1/2 cup of gravy. Stir in chicken. You can also sprinkle in some shredded cheese if you're feeling it,  I usually do.

Wrap 5 corn tortillas in a couple of paper towels and pop them in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute. They will be hot but that's what you want. Fill the tortillas with a heaping spoonful of the mixture and roll. If the tortilla tears, it isn't hot enough. Place in a 13x9 pan seam-side down. Repeat. Makes 14 enchiladas - 10 across the pan and 4 on the side.

In a bowl add the remainder of the enchilada sauce and a 1/2 cup of gravy, mix. Pour over the enchiladas and spread it around to coat each one. Top with shredded cheese and olives. 

Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with rice and beans. Enjoy!

Next time I make these enchiladas I'm going to substitute the gravy with Philadelphia Original Cooking Creme to give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out. I used it in smothered burritos last week and it was amazing.

Are you visiting from the Kraft page? Let me know! Thanks for stopping by :)

1 comment: